August is FAMILY FUN MONTH, just another great excuse to plan a big Smoky Mountain vacation or a quick weekend away with the kids. And what better place to get away than Gatlinburg (or Pigeon Forge), where the Parkway is lined with arcades, mini golf courses, go kart tracks, and family-friendly attractions.
Events add to the fun, with annual holiday celebrations, carnivals, festivals, arts and crafts shows, and so much more. The cherry on top is the lineup of sweet treats in the Smokies, from funnel cakes and old-fashioned candy to fudge and ice cream! The list could go on and on, but here are 50 fun attractions, events, and activities to get you started for family fun month!
1. Ride the Aerial Tramway up to Ober Gatlinburg.
2. Check out 360-degree views from the Gatlinburg Space Needle.
3. Grab a decadent candy-covered caramel apple from Kilwin’s.
4. Ride the trolley (in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge) for an easy and fun way around town the whole family will love.
5. Get your screams in on a roller coaster at Dollywood.
6. Enjoy city views and a fun ride on the Great Smoky Mountain Wheel.
7. Waddle around in the Penguin Playhouse at Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies.
8. Check out the odd and unbelievable at Ripley’s Believe It Or Not! Odditorium.
9. Pose with celebrities and try out some trivia at the Hollywood Wax Museum.
10. Touch an iceberg and see if you can stand on sloping decks at the Titanic Museum Attraction.
11. Get a cabin with game tables and play the day away!
12. Enjoy a peaceful stroll to Cataract Falls (Cove Mountain Trail).
13. Get a box of creamy fudge to enjoy back at the cabin.
14. Eat an Ogle Dog and play arcade games at Fannie Farkle’s.
15. Drive go karts at top speeds at NASCAR SpeedPark.
16. Browse The Village shops.
17. Get a warm stack of pancakes in the cozy Pancake Pantry.
18. Try the ropes course at The Island.
19. Cool off with a scoop of homemade ice cream (in specialty flavors) at The Old Mill Creamery.
20. Fly through the trees for some up-high family fun at Smoky Mountain Ziplines.
21. Ride along the mountainside at your own pace on the Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster.
22. Wind your way through Ripley’s Marvelous Mirror Maze and treat the kids in the Candy Factory when you’re done!
23. Step outside the box at the Salt & Pepper Shaker Museum.
24. Watch them pull taffy (and get some old-fashioned candy) at Ole Smoky Candy Kitchen by Pancake Pantry.
25. Lace up and take a spin around the rink at Ober Gatlinburg’s indoor ice skating.
26. See how you stack up against the record holders at Ripley’s Guinness World Records Adventure.
27. Putt around – with the gorgeous backdrop of the Smokies – at Ripley’s Davy Crockett Mini-Golf or Old MacDonald’s Farm Mini-Golf.
28. Run from zombies at Outbreak: Dread the Undead.
29. Top your donuts with ice cream at Mad Dog’s Creamery & Donuts in Gatlinburg.
30. Have a hearty 4-course meal and watch the awesome horses at Dixie Stampede.
31. Have a fun adventure with Smoky Mountain Guides.
32. Work as a (family) team to break out at The Escape Game.
33. Take a family horseback ride with Sugarlands Riding Stables.
34. Have a fun night at the Amazing Animals show at The Comedy Barn.
35. Get hands on at WonderWorks.
36. Treat the kids to brittle, turtles, stick candy, and more at local favorite Glades Homemade Candy.
37. Be amazed by Darren Romeo at Magic Beyond Belief.
38. Watch the feuding families at Hatfield & McCoy Dinner show.
39. Spend a day casting a line in the cool waters of the Smokies with Smokies Angling Adventures.
40. Start the day with a big breakfast at Crockett’s Breakfast Camp.
41. Listen to live music in the Ole Smoky Moonshine Holler.
42. Shop for brand-names clothes (and toys!) at Tanger Outlets.
43.Take a scenic drive through Cades Cove. Bonus if you stop off for a picnic!
44. Watch Looney Tunes and Angry Birds – in 5D – at Ripley’s Moving Theater.
45.Have a night of music at the Smoky Mountain Opry.
46. Get spooked making your way through Ripley’s Haunted Adventure.
47. Enjoy comedy, country music, and more at Country Tonite Theatre.
48.Splash down the rapids with Wildwater Rafting.
49. Get a box of brown bears at Ole Smoky Candy Kitchen.
50. Find old-fashioned candy, crazy treats for the kids, ice cream, fudge, and more at the Big Rocky Candy Kitchen at The Island in Pigeon Forge.