The areas in and around the Great Smoky Mountains National Park are known for an abundance of wildlife and diversity of trees and wildflowers. Each year, the International Festivals & Events Association celebrates this diversity by offering locals and visitors a way to learn more about the area’s natural history. Through exhibits, performances, classes, walks, talks, and workshops, the 25th Annual Wilderness Wildlife Week celebrates the flora, fauna, and cultures of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. With activities for kids and adults of all ages, it’s an exciting Pigeon Forge event for the whole family! Best of all, it’s free!
Wilderness Wildlife Week has served as a staple in the Pigeon Forge community for more than two decades, and it just gets better every year. Along with classes, it brings great live music – bluegrass, hymns, old-time mountain music, and traditional mountain instruments. Kids will love the KIDS’ TRACK! program, which features hands-on workshops and activities, and hikers will appreciate learning new tips and exploring new areas of the national park. Hikes will range from easy to difficult, so there’s no need to be an experienced hiker to participate. You’ll have fun at Wilderness Wildlife Week, whether you’re just developing your love for the great outdoors or you’ve been an outdoorsman for years.
The 25th Annual Wilderness Wildlife Week will be held from January 24 through January 31, based at the new LeConte Center in Pigeon Forge. Most programs during Wilderness Wildlife Week begin at 8 a.m. and end around 7:30 p.m. when the keynote program begins. Call the LeConte Center for more information at 1.800.251.9100 or 865.453.8574.
With so many events, you won’t be able to get to every class, workshop, or hike, so read on to see just a sampling of the events you may want to check out!
• Beginning Bird ID
• The Appalachian Trail: An Entertaining Adventure
• Nature Photography Workshop
• Camera Basics 101
• Carve a Wildlife Stamp
• KIDS’ TRACK! Design Your Own Wilderness Wildlife Week Bandana
• Fly Fishing the Smokies
• A Day in the Life of a Riverboat Captain
• You, Me and the Bears
• Introduction to the Mountain Dulcimer
• Make a Dream catcher Christmas Ornament
• Old Time Hymn Singing
• Rock Formations of the Smokies
• KIDS’ TRACK! Get Your Kids Hiking
• Nature Writing for Love and Money
• Clawhammer Banjo Workshop
• Lightroom Photo Editing Software: Come Take a Test Drive!
• Casting a Fly Rod
• Discovery of the Gray Fossil Site
• Blooms, Birds, and Butterflies
• Sunday Morning Sing Along
• Basket Making
• Recycle Scraps Into Rag Rugs and Trivets
• KIDS’ TRACK! The Truth about Pirates
• Hiking and Backpacking: Getting Started Safely and Correctly
• Landscaping Attributes of Native Trees, Shrubs and Vines
This is just a short list of the many, many classes, workshops, and activities during the 25th Annual Wilderness Wildlife Week! Check out the full schedule online to start planning your week today!
25th Annual Wilderness Wildlife Week
LeConte Center at Pigeon Forge
2986 Teaster Lane
Pigeon Forge, TN 37863
Information desk: Open from 7 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Vendor/Exhibit hall: Open from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. in LeConte Exhibit Hall