Uncontrollable laughter without a cause, a steady shoulder to lean on day or night, personal secrets kept without question, mutual love to last for all time…true girlfriends share an unbreakable bond that deserves to be celebrated. Be they mothers, sisters, teammates, coworkers, or classmates — girlfriends are the best of friends. In fact, an entire day was created to acknowledge and honor these treasured relationships: National Girlfriends Day!
Technically, guys can take their girlfriends out for this holiday as well, but we have Valentine’s Day for that, right? Plus, we all know how important it is for ladies to get some girl time! On Wednesday, August 1, 2018, make girls’ night out in town an overnight trip to the Smoky Mountains instead. Shop until you drop, tackle local attractions, toast to good times, and enjoy spa night every night at the cabin — girls know how to party best after all!
What is the most traditional way to spend some time with your girlfriends? That’s right — shop, shoppe, shopping! With unique boutiques, local crafts stores, and souvenir shops around every corner, you can’t go wrong with a shopping spree in Gatlinburg.
A local favorite, The Village Shops is sure to impress with European-style architecture, presenting a charming storybook feel while you browse 20+ shops. Prepare for a group selfie in adorable matching pajamas from Lazy One, find the decorative home piece you’ve been searching for at The Honey Pot, stop for a cup of joe and a sweet treat at Coffee & Company, pick up a few bath and body products from Verbena’s, and take home an array of aromatherapy candles from Candle Cottage. And that’s only the beginning…
With tons of attractions to choose from, it can be overwhelming to decide, so we’ve grouped our top memory-making activities for girl time! Feel free to choose a few or go for them all!
- Pop over to Pigeon Forge and put your friendships to the test at The Escape Game — where you must work together to solve an art mystery, stop a terrorist threat, find Clyde Hamilton’s gold, repair a spaceship, or break out of prison before it’s too late!
- Reconnect with nature and your gal pals on a wilderness hike through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, where you may come across grazing deer, flowing streams, and breathtaking waterfalls.
- Seeking adventure? Skydive in safety at Flyaway Indoor Skydiving, take an epic helicopter ride over the city with Scenic Helicopter Tours, or take on dueling ziplines at Anakeesta (an aerial adventure park with dining, shopping, and outdoor fun).
- Play all day at The Island, featuring incredible rides, engaging activities (including The Escape Game), entertaining games, delicious eateries (including Paula Deen’s Family Kitchen), and more than 60 retail shops!
- Dine on Southern cuisine while watching a love story play out on stage at Dolly Parton’s Smoky Mountain Adventures — starring acrobatic stunts, dance numbers, delightful music, exciting pyrotechnics, and more!
Get ready to paint the town red with a tour of the Rocky Top Wine Trail, boasting 5 wineries and 1 distillery. Spend a whole day collecting stamps at each location to win FREE prizes or tackle a few locations along the trail each day of the trip — it’s a great way to start the evening festivities! Even better, create a playful toast just for you and your girlfriends to make the tasting experience extra special. Additionally, you can take a FREE tour between noon and 5:00 p.m. at 3 of the participating facilities (marked below).
- Hillside Winery | Sevierville | FREE Tour
- Apple Barn Winery | Sevierville
- Mountain Valley Winery | Pigeon Forge | FREE Tour
- Mill Bridge Winery | Pigeon Forge
- Sugarland Cellars | Gatlinburg | FREE Tour
- Doc Collier Moonshine | Gatlinburg
Spa Nights at the Cabin
Bust out the local bottles of red from the trail at your own private cabin rental — complete with unbelievable mountain views and relaxing amenities galore! With a whole lot of laughter and a touch of gossip, it’s sure to be a stay to remember. Vote on your favorite chick flick in the home theater, relax from the day’s walk in the outdoor hot tub, pile snacks on the coffee table for a friendly chat, unwind with a bubble bath in the indoor jetted tub, take a morning dip in the private indoor pool, and enjoy a morning brew on the back deck with sunrise hues to boot! And the best part is, rates are always a smidge cheaper during the week, so you can score a great cabin for an even better price when you book a stay for National Girlfriends Day!
This year, celebrate #NationalGirlfriendsDay Smoky Mountain style with endless shopping, exciting attractions, wine tasting, spa nights, and more!