Your Smoky Mountain vacation is incomplete without a visit to the one-of-a-kind Ober Gatlinburg. This one-stop shop for family recreation and fun is so much more than a wintertime ski resort. All year long you can enjoy shopping, dining, ice skating, mini golf, outdoor activities (including a ride on the Aerial Tramway or the Scenic Chairlift), the family-friendly Wildlife Encounter, Kiddie Land, and so much more!
Ober Gatlinburg is located on the Parkway in Gatlinburg, and if you’re planning to visit the Smoky Mountains during the fall, then you’ll have the chance to catch Ober Gatlinburg’s 6th annual Oktoberfest celebration! In keeping with tradition, this year’s festivities will begin at the end of September, but Ober Gatlinburg will extend its celebration through to the first day of November. Bring the entire family to celebrate Bavarian culture amidst the beauty of the Smokies at Oktoberfest this fall.
What Is It?
Oktoberfest is rooted in Bavarian culture and has been celebrated in Munich, Germany, since 1810. Traditionally, the celebration is a 16-day folk festival that begins in late September and ends the first weekend in October. In Germany, more than 6 million people from around the world attend Oktoberfest each year, making it the largest beer festival in the world.
In Ober Gatlinburg, you’ll get to join in on the festivities without having to travel all the way to Munich. Enjoy traditional Bavarian music, food, and fun at this Smoky Mountain rendition of Germany’s long-standing celebration. Some of the delicious items on the menu for this year’s festival include:
- German Bratwurst—a classic bratwurst served with sauerkraut and kettle chips
- Schnitzel—pan fried pork loin (or chicken) coated in special breading served with multi-grain mustard, Bavarian red cabbage, and German potato salad
- Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte—layers of chocolate cake, chocolate cream, and cherries with whipped cream frosting on top
Is your mouth watering yet? And this list doesn’t even include the delicious brews you’ll get to try at the Outdoor Bier Garten. Oktoberfest at Ober Gatlinburg is a truly unique event you’ll only find in Gatlinburg. Make your plans to be there this fall!
When Is It?
The 6th annual Oktoberfest is taking place between September 25 and November 1, 2015. You can find authentic German cuisine and exciting entertainment every day of Oktoberfest. If you’re interested in checking out the outdoor Bier Garten, make plans to attend sometime between Thursday and Sunday. And if you’re wanting to catch the Bavarian Fun Makers Oompah Band, showtimes* are as follows:
Monday through Thursday—1 p.m. and 5 p.m.
Friday through Sunday—1 p.m., 3 p.m., 5 p.m., and 7 p.m.
*Seating for these shows will begin 30 minutes prior to showtime.
Where Can I Stay?
The fall is one of the most popular times to stay in the Smokies, so you’ll want to book soon. For the best Smoky Mountain experience this time of year, try one of our Gatlinburg cabins with mountain views. You’ll have your own private oasis, where you can enjoy not only the exciting amenities that come with your cabin, but also a gorgeous view of the changing colors as they cascade down the mountainside. A few of our featured Gatlinburg cabins with mountain views include:
- Panorama Point is a three-bedroom, three-bath cabin that sleeps 12 with an indoor pool, indoor hot tub, pool table, and more. This cabin is just a short four miles from downtown Gatlinburg and even pet friendly.
- Lasting Impressions is a one-bedroom, one-bath cabin that sleeps four with an arcade game, outdoor hot tub, and rocking chair porch. Enjoy this cozy and affordable Gatlinburg cabin for your family’s trip to the Smokies.
- Majestic Mountain Views is a five-bedroom, four-bath cabin that sleeps 16 with a private sauna, indoor jetted tubs, pool access, and game tables. What’s even better about this group-size cabin is its close distance to Ober Gatlinburg. Enjoy the festivities of Oktoberfest from only a mile away in Majestic Mountain Views!