Isn’t it about time to give back — to yo’ self? Wait a minute now. We know what you’re thinking…how can you say that? That’s super selfish! Hang on, there’s nothing wrong with treating yourself to a piece of your hard-earned pie. We’re not saying you should never give to others. But we are saying it’s important to take care of yourself and give back to YOU.
Always giving away can be taxing on your health, physically and mentally. If you’re not giving happily, then something is wrong, which is partly why Treat Yo’ Self Day has been catching on in recent years. It’s celebrated on October 13 and was actually created in 2011 by a famous comedy series you may have heard of called Parks and Recreation…but that’s a funny story for another time.
In a nutshell, a few characters on the show pamper, primp, indulge, and let the reins go on this extra special day. Sounds pretty great, right? Well, it’s your turn to treat yo’ self! You know who. You know why. You know when. Now, we’ll tell you how in the Great Smoky Mountains — where exciting attractions, boutiques galore, fine dining, luxurious cabins, and beautiful memories await YOU!
Play at Local Attractions
Fun attractions of all shapes, sizes, and kinds run rampant in the Smokies, meaning there’s something for everyone. And we’re 100% (or like 99.99%) certain you’re going to have a blast playing in town!
- Tour The Island in Pigeon Forge, where you can ride to the tippy top of the Great Smoky Mountain Wheel, escape prison with your best pals (or cellmates…), and eat and shop all day.
- Visit Dollywood, an amusement park with thrilling roller coasters, adrenaline pumping rides, fantastic music shows, live crafting, unique experiences, Southern treats, and country shops.
- Climb a rock wall, ice skate (year-round), putt-putt, zoom down a mountain coaster, shop around, and eat all the yummy things at Ober Gatlinburg Ski Area & Amusement Park.
Our attraction favs not tickling your fancy? No worries, there’s plenty more! Cruise the Parkway and pick intriguing places that catch your eye. Don’t think too much — just stop at what you want because this is your day to play!
Explore the Great Outdoors
Are you a nature lover? Perfect! The Great Smoky Mountains will be in fall bloom for Treat Yo’ Self Day, with colorful autumn hues draping across the mountains and valleys. So be sure to visit the Great Smoky Mountains National Park for peace, quiet, and gorgeous views!
- Get a bird’s eye view with Scenic Helicopter Tours, offering a variety of tour options that include flying over the river, lake, city, valley areas, and (of course) the national park.
- Take a picturesque drive, hike, bike, or horseback ride in Cades Cove, a beautiful valley area with historical structures, wildlife all about, mountain scenes, trails to waterfalls, and a picnic area.
- Head to the top of Clingman’s Dome, the highest point in the national park featuring 360° views of the rolling, fall decorated Smokies — there’s nothing like it.
Shop Until You Drop
Itching to see what’s inside that old country store? Pull in, venture inside, and walk out with as many souvenirs as you please! We do have a few recommendations, too…
- Check out the Great Smoky Arts & Crafts Community, harboring 100+ artisans with unmatched skill in metal work, wood carving, sowing, glass blowing, basket weaving, painting, and oh-so-much more!
- Stroll through The Village, a European inspired shopping complex with 27 shops boasting fresh ingredients, monogrammed items, art and home décor, toys, and fashion pieces.
- Peruse The Old Mill district, where the General Store, Pigeon River Pottery, Sassafras Clothing, and Farmhouse Kitchen won’t disappoint your taste for Southern flair.
Dine on Exquisite Cuisine
Working up an appetite from all the fun you’ll have on Treat Yo’ Self Day in the Smokies just comes with the territory. Want fast food? We got it. Craving homemade fudge, brittle, ice cream, and donuts? Check! Looking for elevated eats? Try a few below.
- Try the salmon & avocado salad, juicy baby back ribs, and the Klondike burger at Timberwood Grill.
- Unwind and dine by the Little Pigeon River inside The Peddler Steakhouse, featuring hand cut, TN hickory charcoal grilled steaks.
- Savor traditional Southern flavors at Paula Deen’s Family Kitchen. We highly recommend Grandmama Paul’s fried green tomatoes!
Stay in a Luxury Cabin
After playing in town, horseback riding through the national park, shopping for souvenirs, and enjoying a top-rated dinner show, it’s time to head back to your luxury cabin in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg.
Live cabin life to the lux!
- Sip mimosas by the private indoor pool.
- Soak tired muscles in the hot tub on deck.
- Beat the highest arcade scores in the rec room.
- Watch movies in the home theater with surround sound.
- Sneak (or proudly grab) midnight snacks from the fully equipped kitchen.
- Dream sweetly in the master suite’s king-size bed after a soothing spa bath in the jetted tub!
- Wake up to majestic mountain views or the sound of a flowing river just outside your window.
Or maybe…your preferred way to treat yo’ self is with a day of pampering and relaxing at the cabin. Go for it — with luxurious preorders, like wildflower bouquets and gift baskets (filled with items like gourmet chocolates, bath salts, and soap petals) plus an in-cabin massage and chef!
Take it from us — YOU deserve a fun, memorable, and lavish getaway to the Smokies! And there’s no better time than (the unofficially official) Treat Yo’ Self Day on October 13!