Handmade gifts by Gatlinburg craftsmen
With Father’s Day just around the corner (June 19, 2016), this is the perfect time to start thinking about the right gift to celebrate the man in your life this year. Sure, a tie or a new shirt is always nice, but why not go for something a little more creative? Perhaps something you can’t get in a department store … perhaps something customized … perhaps something handmade.
For a gift that fits all of this criteria, head on over to Gatlinburg! You’ll find dozens of shops with handmade, high-quality gifts that really say “you’re special to me” to your spouse or your father this Father’s Day. And these gifts are not only great for Father’s Day, but for any occasion you’ll be celebrating in 2016. Graduation, birthdays, anniversaries, retirements—whatever the occasion, these specialty shops have the perfect handmade products to surprise and delight your family and friends.
Listed below are just a few of our favorites. For a full list of Gatlinburg artists and craftsmen, click here.
- Alewine Pottery—This family-owned business has been making stunning handmade ceramics for more than 30 years. Check out their website to watch the Alewine pottery-making process for yourself. You can see the careful precision, expert experience, and artistic eye that goes into every piece of pottery they sell. And they sell a variety of products—from pitchers to mixing bowls to oil lamps to specialty mugs, you’ll find something for everyone on your list at Alewine Pottery.
- Aunt Mahalia’s Candies—Sometimes the smallest gifts are the sweetest to receive, and that’s definitely true when you’re giving away some of Aunt Mahalia’s Candies. This candy shop opened in 1939 and has been a favorite place to visit ever since. At their glass-enclosed kitchens, you can not only taste their yummy creations but also watch them make their sweet treats the good ole-fashioned way. You’ll find homemade candies of all varieties, including Maple Pralines, Caramel Apples, Pecan Puffs, and Homemade Peanut Brittle. Is your mouth watering yet? Good! Bring it on down to Aunt Mahalia’s—just remember to share!
- Beech Branch Crafts—For one-of-a-kind craftsmanship and unique gifts that are perfect for every occasion, come to Beech Branch Crafts. You can find personalized slate and redwood signs, great gifts for an engaged couple to hang in their new home. They also have rustic bird houses, vine baskets, and regional pottery and paintings. Their products are a great way to say “I love you” to those special someones in your life.
- Country Cobbler Custom Leather—If high-quality products are something you’re after, check out Country Cobbler Custom Leather, where they have been making top-of-the-line leather products for more than four decades. All leathers used for their products are hand selected, and all products are made with the utmost attention and care. You can find everything from leather handbags to custom leather chaps. You can also find smaller items like leather-covered flasks or leather checkbook covers. Check out their website for more products and to see all the variety of designs available at the Country Cobbler.
- Lorelei Candles—Sure, candles are a favorite gift for a variety of occasions, but how many opportunities do you have to give away handmade candles crafted right in the Smoky Mountains? At Lorelei Candles, you can not only visit their candle factory and take home your favorite soy, scented or unscented candles—all original designs—but you can also watch the candle-making process in their shop. They’ve been refining their products since the shop opened in 1979. Check it out for yourself when you come to Gatlinburg, and enjoy giving away a truly unique gift to your loved ones this year.