Spring is a bright and beautiful time in the Smoky Mountains. Wildflowers are blooming, the air is warm and sweet, trails in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park are lush and green and wildlife is stirring. The shops of downtown Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are decorated with fresh flowers and spring décor, and the calendar is packed full of awesome events. No matter what you’re traveling to the Smokies for – an anniversary, a family vacation, a church trip or a corporate retreat – there is something for everyone to do. Check out some of the upcoming events this spring:
Smoky Mountain Tunes and Tales
Now – August 10th
Listen to the music and the stories of the Smokies from local musicians and storytellers in period clothing at this summer-long event. Admission is free – just stroll the Parkway and enjoy!
Gatlinburg Farmers Market
Now – October 12th
Pick up fresh produce, homemade bread, delicious jams and local products each Saturday from 8:30 am to 11:30 am in the Alamo Steakhouse parking lot.
Watch local celebrities, marching bands, fabulous floats and Dolly Parton herself ride down the Parkway in her Homecoming Parade.
Bloomin’ BBQ and Bluegrass
May 17th – 18th
Head to Sevierville for the Tennessee State Championship BBQ Cookoff, family-friendly games, free bluegrass concerts, mountain crafts and great food.
Along with the many events going on, spring is a great time to get outside and enjoy the fresh air. There are lots of great activities, so go ahead, try something new. Maybe…
- Take a hike.Put on your hiking shoes and head to Abrams Falls, Laurel Falls or historic buildings in Cades Cove.
- Have a picnic by a stream.Take your favorite picnic foods to Big Creek, Greenbrier, Heintooga, Metcalf Bottoms or Cades Cove for a relaxing day.
- Go on a scenic drive.Pack some snacks and hit the road on the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail.
- Try a zipline tour. Try CLIMB works Canopy, Smoky Mountain Ziplines or Gatlinburg Ziplines Unlimited for a fun experience.
- Go horseback riding in Cades Cove. Along with horseback riding, Cades Cove Riding Stables offers hayrides and carriage rides.
- Catch a fish (or try). Go to nps.gov for fishing seasons and times, license requirements and daily possession limits