This May, make your plans to attend the festival where rich cultural history meets good family fun! We’re talking about East Tennessee’s premier celebration of Scottish culture and history, the Smoky Mountain Scottish Festival and Games. Founded in 1981, the festival was originally known as the Gatlinburg Scottish Festival and Games, and it remains one of the oldest and best Scottish festivals in the United States. It’s a truly unique and fun event filled with music, food, drink, game, and more.
The Smoky Mountain Scottish Festival and Games is an event for people of all ages and cultural backgrounds. No need to be Scottish to enjoy the traditional food and festivities! So bring the family for a rich cultural experience you will get nowhere else. Here are just a few of the featured activities and events you will enjoy:
- Traditional Scottish music – You’ll never find this many pipers and drummers in one location! Enjoy the individual piping and drumming competition as well as traditional and contemporary performers, including: The BorderCollies, The Celtic Martinis, Colin Grant Adams, Feckless Fear Dearg, Good Thymes Band, Raven and Red, and Shamrock Road. And Master of Ceremonies Bob Valentine will once again perform with songs, jokes, and his unique perspective on life.
- Friday Night Gala – Buy your tickets by May 8 and don your finest formal attire for a night of dinner, music, and a special haggis ceremony.
- Dog show and parade – Along with the dog parade ($5 entry fee goes to the Smoky Mountain Animal Care Foundation), the Smoky Mountain Scottish Festival and Games invites you to watch highly-trained sheepdogs in action—a rare treat you’ll find only in the Smokies!
- Dance competition – On Saturday, enjoy the Highland Dance competition, and on Sunday, join the Scottish country dancers and Irish step dancers as they teach you their moves!
- Kid-Friendly activities and games – With a special zone just for the kids, the Smoky Mountain Scottish Festival and Games makes sure your little ones have plenty to keep them entertained and having fun! Face painting and an athletic competition just for the kiddos are just a few of the activities and games you will find. And kids under 16 get in free, so the festival will be easy on your wallet, too.
- Scottish Highland Games Athletic competitions – Held on the main field, the athletic competitions will be one part of the festival you won’t want to miss! Watch feats of strength with the stone put, throw, caber toss, and more!
- Colorful clan tents, Scotch-tasting seminars, and so much more!
The Smoky Mountain Scottish Festival and Games will take place May 21-22, 2016, at Maryville College in Maryville, Tennessee. You’re going to love your visit to the Smokies that time of year! The trees are in full bloom, and the full splendor of the Smokies is on display! To make the most of your visit, allow our reservation specialists to help book you a cabin in the heart of the mountains. With plenty of family-friendly cabins, you are sure to make your visit a memorable one! After a day of Scottish fun, you can head back to a comfortable cabin where you can swim in your private pool, watch a movie in your private theater room, play games in your rec room, rest in a comfortable bed, relax in a hot tub while looking out over the mountains, have a glass of wine while unwinding in a rocking chair, or cook homemade meals in your fully equipped kitchen!
*Amenities vary in each cabin. Call our reservation specialists or browse online to find your perfect fit!