With about10,000 exotic sea creatures and over 300 individual species living in the Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies in Gatlinburg, there are officially more ocean creatures than human inhabitants in the entire city of Gatlinburg. There is so much to learn about the ocean at this world-class aquarium. Here are some fun facts you can take along to impress your friends while visiting each exhibit.
1. More people have been injured by falling coconuts than by sharks. You can remind your shaking knees about this fun fact while gliding through the tunnel in Shark Lagoon.
2. Sharks never run out of teeth. It can take Sharks anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks to grow a tooth back.
2. In a matter of minutes, piranha can strip the flesh from an entire cow! You can learn more about other lethal sea creatures in the Lethal Weapons exhibit.
3. Electric Eels can produce 500-volt jolts. A shock in water from 20 feet away could kill a human.
4. Stingray babies are called “pups”. Touch A Ray and Stingray Bay are two exhibits that allow you to get closer to these majestic creatures.
5. Penguin spots are like fingerprints in that they are unique to each penguin. You’ll love watching all the penguins pop in and out of the water from the clear, underwater tunnels in the Penguin Playhouse.
These are just a handful of fun facts you’ll learn while visiting the Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies. Stop by our Facebook Page and tell us some of the fun facts you learned after your trip! They are open 365 days a year Sunday through Thursday from 9 AM until 9 PM and Friday and Saturday from 9 AM until 11 PM. It’s a popular, family attraction you won’t want to miss! Below is a beautiful video of Jellyfish at the aquarium: