Winter is the perfect time to plan your vacation to the Smokies. First, the weather is great—with average temperatures in February ranging from 50 degrees for the high and 38 degrees for the low. It’s just cold enough to make snuggling in front of the crackling fireplace an end-of-day delight. Besides the beautiful weather, Gatlinburg, Sevierville, and Pigeon Forge offer dazzling white slopes, crystal clear skies, and crisp mountain air. And this is only the beginning of what you will enjoy. The numerous winter activities are sure to make your vacation memorable and packed with fun. Here are just a few other reasons you will want to plan your visit this winter:
- Less traffic. The majority of visitors to Gatlinburg will arrive when schools are out and families are able to travel in the summer. Make your plans for a time when traffic is light and the going is easy. During the winter, you can enjoy the leisurely pace of a relaxing vacation.
- Better deals. During the winter months, you can find unique treasures from downtown Gatlinburg boutiques for awesome prices. The off-season is sure to mean more bang for your buck and prices you won’t find any other time of the year. And when you wrap up at the downtown shops, be sure to visit the Tanger Five Oaks and Pigeon Forge Outlets. The huge discounts on already low prices are sure to give you a jumpstart on your back-to-school or holiday shopping. You always wanted to finish your Christmas list early, right?
- Spectacular views. One of my favorite things about winter is the bare limbs on the trees, making it possible to see all the beautiful birds that would normally stay hidden behind the leaves. Not only will winter in the Smokies allow you to see beautiful species like the Purple Finch and Evening Grosbeak, but you will also be able to see the rolling hills of the Great Smoky Mountains for miles! You can capture stunning views from almost any elevation in the winter months, loading your camera with memories that will last for a lifetime!
If you do plan to take your vacation during the winter, be sure to keep in mind these tips and tricks:
1. Check the weather. Before you go out, make sure you check hiking conditions, road updates, etc. You don’t want to find yourself stuck in traffic or sliding on ice during your stay. For other winter travel tips, click here.
2. Pack the right gear. Don’t forget to keep extra snacks and blankets in the car and at the cabin for the days when getting around proves difficult. Also, bring games and decks of cards so you have plenty to keep you busy and having loads of fun in front of the fireplace.
3. Book a cabin with Cabins for You! The best way to enjoy the winter in Gatlinburg this year is in a cozy cabin designed just for you. The warm, luxurious interiors are sure to provide you with a cozy mountain retreat—a unique experience you won’t find anywhere else!