Many people think of Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains and think of honeymoons, weddings, church retreats, and family reunions. But Gatlinburg offers so many attractions, events, shops, restaurants, and outdoor activities, it appeals to a much wider crowd. Getting away with family is great, but sometimes you just need some quality time with your friends. At least for me, it’s gotten harder over the years to get friends together. After graduating from high school and college, many of us moved in different directions, began careers, and started families. Now spread across the country, we usually only get together once or twice a year.
Gatlinburg is a great vacation destination for friends because it’s centrally located to many major U.S. cities and has tons of options no matter what your friends enjoy. The hikers, the shoppers, the anglers, the foodies, and the movie buffs will all find plenty to do in the Smokies. As you plan a group getaway with friends, check out these 30 fun things to do in the Great Smoky Mountains.
1. Hike in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
2. Spend an afternoon shopping at Tanger Outlets.
3. Play for the day at Ober Gatlinburg.
4. Stay cool at Dollywood’s Splash Country.
5. Explore the Great Smoky Arts & Crafts Community.
6. Eat a tall stack at The Pancake Pantry.
7. Get spooked at Ripley’s Haunted Adventure or Outbreak: Dread the Undead.
8. Meet celebrities at the Hollywood Wax Museum.
9. Have a game night or movie night in the cabin.
10. Check out the views from the top of the Gatlinburg Space Needle.
11. Take a scenic drive along the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail.
12. See who can get the first hole-in-one at a Gatlinburg miniature golf course.
13. Experience the RMS Titanic as passengers and crew members.
14. Climb to the peak of Chimney Tops for stunning Smoky Mountain views.
15. See thousands of underwater creatures at Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies.
16. Play your favorite arcade games (and enjoy a foot-long dog) at Fannie Farkle’s.
17. Watch a Lumberjack Feud or see the Hatfields and McCoys duke it out.
18. Feel like a kid full of wonder at WonderWorks on the Parkway.
19. Check out music memorabilia at the Hard Rock Cafe.
20. Ride on the Great Smoky Mountain Wheel at The Island.
21. Watch shows and ride roller coasters at Pigeon Forge’s famous Dollywood Theme Park.
22. Raft or float down the Pigeon River.
23. Watch a big ball game on a big screen TV in the cabin.
24. Go swimming in your private or community pool.
25. Pick up outdoor gear at the NOC.
26. Go on a scenic helicopter tour of the Great Smoky Mountains.
27. Get your adrenaline pumping with indoor skydiving.
28. Pick up gifts at the Gatlinburg Craftsmen’s Fair.
29. Have a drink or two at OktOBERfest.
30. Enjoy a tour and tastings at area wineries.
Don’t forget that you’ll need a spacious and comfortable place for all your friends to relax after busy days in town. Cabins For You offers a wide variety of cabins in both Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, ranging in size from cozy one-bedroom cabins to spacious large-group lodges. So whether you’re vacationing with your best friend or all your friends, we have a place for you. Our cabins also offer all the amenities you could want, from big screen TVs, king-size beds, spacious living rooms, and game tables to private indoor pools, home theaters, stunning mountain views, and locations near downtown. You’ll find the space you need for all your friends to play and relax, and having everyone in one cabin will allow you to enjoy more time together. Instead of being spread out across multiple hotel rooms, enjoy the privacy and convenience of a homey cabin in the mountains. The shared spaces – full kitchens, comfortable living rooms, fun game rooms, and beautiful decks – will give you the time you need to reminisce, catch up, and start planning your next vacation together.